Wednesday, July 07, 2021

Sherborne Old & New Castles and Abbey

I went to Sherborne today. Sherborne is a small market town (9000 people) that like Wimborne feels like a small Cathedral city. 

My first stop was Sherborne Old Castle built by Roger de Caen, Bishop of Salisbury and Chancellor of England in 1120.






This is the "new" castle of which more later.











I then went into the town


Sherborne Abbey. It has been a Saxon Cathedral 705-1075, a Benedictine abbey (998-1539) and since 1539 a Parish Church


Not sure where the mallards came from!!




Now that is a fan vault!! 
























In 1592 Raleigh persuaded   Elizabeth I to let him lease the Castle estate and rather than refurbish the castle he built the Lodge which has become known as the New Castle and now just Sherborne Castle. The castle is not open at the moment so I wandered around enjoy the grounds and reading my book. There were lots of Grebes on the lake and I saw a Scarlet Tiger moth. 





















A nice day (the forecast was for rain!!).  

1 comment:

Ragged Robin said...

Looks like a great day. Well done on Scarlet Tiger - Dorset was where I saw one too. The abbey is amazing - what a ceiling (fan vaults). So good to see all your photos of places I have never been!

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.