Friday, July 09, 2021

Kingston Church, Corfe Castle and Clouds Hill

I have been stuck on 891 for flipping ages on my church list! 

I had contacted the only church around here I need (well there are 2 but the other is shut and unsafe :( ) and was told it was open and someone was willing to show me around! 

I was early and the church was proudly open :)

So 892 St James, Kingston

There was a medieval church here but in the 19th century Lord Eldon decided to commission the architect George Edmond Street to design a new one. The cost of £70,000 is rather amazing! Alas the old church is now a private residence. The parish had hoped to buy it as a village hall alas...























And I was told the organist was coming up and he could take me up the tower! The views were amazing




Corfe Castle in the distance and the island to the right is Brownsea.


I need to make a donation to the church as I had little change. They were so kind!!

On to Corfe Castle 



My scone sharer! The scone was nice



This is the castle Lady Bankes of Kignston Lacy fame defended for 3 years!

















And my final visit to a National Trust property I have never been to! Clouds Hill which belonged to T E Lawrence you know Lawrence of Arabia fame. The property is tiny! 2 up 2 down. There is no toilet or Kitchen. Lawrence used it mainly as a place to read and write whilst at Bovington Camp. Interesting place.












Everyone was very friendly and informative

2 comments:

Ragged Robin said...

So pleased you finally added a new church to your list. Corfe Castle looks amazingly quiet. I wonder if NT and EH will continue with prebooking etc after 19th July?? T E Lawrence place looks amazing. When in that part of Dorset we went to the abandoned village of Tyneham which was amazing. Have you been? Not always open though as used by army.

The Quacks of Life said...

Corfe village was busy. there were plenty of people about

no never done Tyneham

the TEL place is interesting but if you aren't an NT member a bit expensive really.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.