Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Irritating

I've long held that Piers Morgan is one of the more irritating people in public life. Perhaps it's being called Piers, perhaps it's his association with The Queen of Hearts and her butler I don't know. Or perhaps it's because I regard journalist, as worse than politicians, estate agents and solicitors/lawyers (I am dead now eh Cherrypie!!).

That said Mr Morgan pales into insignificance to Mr J Clarkson. Anything vaguely environmental and he waffles on and on and on. I'm sorry but the man is tosser of the highest order. Any chance we can get him to Bempton trip? Push! What is sad is that he can be quite funny but has this annoying habit of talking out of his arse on anything about the natural world.

I mention Solicitors/Lawyers not to wind Cherrypie up (although I admit this would be a good reason normally) but because I was listening to a law program on Radio 4 on the way home from work. This Lawyer was telling how he had got a woman off of a drink driving charge who was over the limit. Apparently she was so bad police didn't/couldn't caution her so he was able to get her off on a technicality. He was happy that she was guilty and was VERY proud about getting her off and said it was due to bad parliamentary law. I think he makes a habit of this sort of case, I came in late to the program and he was going on about how many drink drive cases he had won on this basis.

Now perhaps it is a technicality but I think the lawyer needn't bother asking WHY the general public have little faith in the whole legal process. It's a sad day methinks when justice makes way for lawyers looking for technicalities to get people who they know to be guilty off. I wonder if any of the drink drivers go and knock down someone in the future if he feels so proud.

I have a personal anecdote I might share about the law and justice one day.

I don't like modern society. It is often said we get the governments we deserve. The current regime is getting a lot of stick, some of it warranted, but one of the things that irritates me is the criticism of the Nanny State nature of the government.

Now don't get me wrong it irritates me but is the government wholly to blame or should we look in the mirror?

An example when I was school I was stabbed. Nothing serious it was an accident the guy was playing with a pen knife and I got a cut hand and have a miniscule 1/2 inch scar. Nowadays parents would sue the school (it was on a school trip) and probably get £250,000, in those dim and distant days the chaps mother came to contritely apologise and it was over.

It irritates me that accidents don't happen anymore. Trip up? who can you sue. Some lawyer will appear on telly telling you to contact them. Whatever happens someone is to blame. I'm sorry but human errors make mistakes and we have to accept that. Compensation maybe necessary in certain cases but I think this blame culture is what fuels the nanny state look in the mirror Britain and you will see Nanny.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hehe, the first thought that came to mind was the sue against McDonalds in the US, blaming them for making a person fat.

I don't think there is such a thing as personal responsibility anymore, it's all society's fault!

Cherrypie said...

I am amazed that I actually found myself agreeing with you by the end of that post. Being a pompous and superior cow, I will overlook the paltry attempt to goad me, you're a programmer, you can't help it!

But for the record, most of the "lawyers" you see on the telly chasing ambulances are actually marketing men who take huge cuts and commissions on ridiculous insurance from stupid, greedy people. Real lawyers hate them!

Boo said...

'Course it is, if you listen to all the tv ads.

We have adopted America's policy of "sue all", or in other words -ambulance chasing!

The Quacks of Life said...

CP - I am a bit of a wind-up merchant.

Nathalie - totally right. Parents are no longer responsible for kids, no one is responsible for ANYTHING - argh!!

Boof - frightening isn't it.

Unknown said...

Hi Pete :-)

The thing you have to remember about J Clarkson is he can't help talking out of his arse, because he keeps his brain a few inches away.

I agree, no one is responsible for anything they do anymore, and common sense seems to have been forgotten. Yikes, I sound like my Gran LOL

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.