Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Deal or No Deal?

For those of you who don't get home before 5pm (I would like to stress I am in the office by 7:15 before some wag comments) this is the vehicle chosen by Noel Edmonds to restablish his dominance of TV.

The premise is this there are 22 sealed boxes containing amounts between 1p and £250,000. 22 people randomly select a box and then one person is selected.

Game play is you randomly select 5 boxes to throw away and the banker then makes you an offer for your box. You either say deal and take the money or no deal when you take a further 3 away. The process is repeated until either the contestant says deal or when there are only 2 left elects to open the box. Sometimes the banker offers you a swap. Woo Hoo.

Now this is strangley watchable as I found out whilst on holiday with my folks. People have systems - sorry folks but its random how can you have a system? Some believe that it's "their day" and then look gutted when it isn't their day.

You won't be surprised to learn no one has won £250,000.

One girl was left with £75,000 and £250,000 she was offered £125K but gambled and only had £75k in the box.

Last night a chap had £15k and £100k left and was offered £35k and gambled and won the £100k

Four people have won a penny. What doesn't surprise me is peoples greed. You're left with 1p, 5p, £50, £250 and £250k and you are offered £8k - fellow contestants that's a derisory offer you've still got the 250K everyone then groans when the £250K goes first up.

Of course the biggest winner of the show? Mr Noel Edmonds. Quelle Surprise.

I also got to watch an episode of Countdown. Actually (sorry CP) I thought Des was pretty good. My parents admitted that he was actually better than St Richard of Whiteley. The show is gentle and funish. And I still can't stand Vordeman's totally ungenuine sounding laugh. That said when I was out of work I was a regular watcher.

What isn't particuarly good is Eggheads. Where teams of ordinary people take on "a fantasy quiz team". The Eggheads are Kevin Ashman(who is frightenly bright, highest ever score of mastermind, world quiz champion, ex brain of britain and now adjudicator on brain of britain), Chris Hughes (winner of mastermind, international mastermind and current brain of Britain - an eccentric), Daphne Fowler (ex brain of britain, going for gold and winner of 15 to 1 - very bright) and CJ De Mooi (a bit of a twat - who is weaker than the first 3 by quite away) and Judith Keppel (the one who won who wants to be a millionaire - and again she is much weaker than the first 3)

They of course do lose occasionally but some of the idiots they put up against them - shakes head.

There are four rounds and the challengers elect to take on an egghead. Which basically means they never pick Ashman. The final round is whoever is left of the challengers against whoever is left of the eggheads. so its normally 1 against 5. Unless Keppel and De Mooi go out.

It's a bit slow.

And is my life so sad that I write a blog on day time game shows? Now Bargain Hunt....... Flog It.............

5 comments:

nicola said...

Whats 5 pm :( ?

The Quacks of Life said...

the advantages of flexi-time. can i help it if you are still in bed when i leave for work

nicola said...

Yeah can you try and be more quiet next time??

flicker said...

I watch all those shows Pete, apart from Countdown, I sometimes catch the end of it before DoND starts. I did watch it for a few nights a while back though when there was a boy genius on there, I think he was 14 or 15? Poor old Pat the lovely Irish lady tonight, I was gutted for her only getting a £1,000, she has been so entertaining for ages, I will miss her banter with Noel. I was really hoping she'd get a big amount. And as for Eggheads, I could cheerfully drown the the lot of them, especially Chris! He is so up himself, I can't bear his smug face when he knows the answer to some obscure question. I have now got to the stage where I have to mute the start when they introduce themselves, I want to kick the screen in! Judith is the only one I can bear!

Boo said...

I have to agree with the comments on both Deal or No Deal and Eggheads.

I find Deal or No Deal compulsive viewing, but cannot bear to watch Eggheads.

Countdown I can tolerate and also quite like Des Lynam, though he looks so serious he can be very funny.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.