Monday, May 08, 2006

I am not a dessert person

At the risk of offending Cherrypie.... I am not a dessert person. If I know I can only fit two courses into my stomach I will always order a starter in preference.

This isn't to say I don't like desserts. I love Apple Pie especially my Mum's home made Apple Pie and I may actually prefer her Pineapple Pie to the apple. I quite like Blackberry & Apple as well. To my knowledge I've never eaten Cherry pie (ooeer). Oh and chocolate is good!

When I go on holiday on my own my criteria is as follows: acceptable price - look I am reasonably well off but £90 for B&B is a joke. My room criteria is simple, clean, a bed, en suite (none of your private bathroom malarkey - if I wake up at 3am for a pee I don't want to get dressed - I sleep au naturel unless I have visitors at home) and a telly. Forget sauna's swimming pools etc. Much more important is a nice quietish atmopshere - not too formal, decent beer but more importantly decent food.

Sorry where were we? ah yes I don't like deserts. Only once can I honestly say that my perception of a restaurant was changed by the dessert. My mate Corinna and I had booked a couple of rooms at the Miner's Arms in Eyam. One day we would be visiting develop-my-own-film-birder's for a bbq but on the Sat we ate in. Food was to what I would describe as good pub standard (i had duck if memory serves). We came to dessert. Since C wanted dessert it would be rude..... the waitress arrived and said "I don't normally like bread pudding but Rachel's is superb." Well I've never eaten bread pudding and C was suspicious but we decided to order a bread pudding and a chocolate thingy that was very low on calories (ah hum) and split.

Well what can I say the Bread Pudding was to die for it was quite simply one of the best desserts I have ever had.

I am not a bread pudding fan but if you are ever at the Miner's Arms, Eyam, Derbyshire and Rachel's bread pudding is on the menu? Go for it.

Curiously I am back up that way Saturday but am staying at the Yorkshire Bridge Inn. It has a nice early morning walk! Wonder if they do Ostrich still?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh.....memories....of that Bread pudding!!!!

Mind you the Creme Brulee was a close second!!

Talons crossed for your visit oop north,
I shall hopefully be visiting there later in the month!!
C

DH59 said...

OK, so it's lunch at the Miner's Arms next week then? Mmmmmmmm. I love bread pudding, well, most puddings, actually. Well, food, really!

The Quacks of Life said...

you may have to book and I don't know if they do it lunch time.

anyway not sure if Lamb Shank would be on the menu.

Food!!

Cherrypie said...

I accidentally commented on your previous post but I'll happily comment again. I love food so much that I could talk and write about it all day long but I'd get crumbs everywhere if I did.

I'm definitely more of a starter/ main than pudding person but I can usually make room for cheese. I am so pleased I won't be expected to eat sweaty sarnies.

Word verification - tblog - a discussion forum for snack heads

The Quacks of Life said...

i'll have to bring my good pub guide book for SUNDAY cp

Anonymous said...

Pete, I hadn't thought of Bread Pudding for years and you brought the taste right back to me. My grandmother would make it and it was wonderful.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.