Tuesday, May 02, 2006

What's in a name?

Kate (hello), passed comment on the place name Lower Slaughter and that some people in yorkshire had a) never heard of it and b) didn't believe it was real.

Got me thinking how we have some great place names. For example near me there is a village called Ugley. Also in Essex is Shellow Bowells !! I mean where did that one come from?

Also reasonably near to me is Six Mile Bottom

Whilst on holiday we came across the Sodbury's. Me to Dad "they named that one after you - Old Sodbury". Mum laughs!

On my travels I've come across Westonzoyland, Puddletown, Piddlehinton, Affpuddle. Oh and Youlgreave - really you will! Whitchurch Canonicorum - what on Earth? Oddington - uhm. Little Snoring and for that matter Great Snoring! oh and Curry Rivel!

Then of course you have the nice sounding ones Bourton-on-the-Water, Stow-in-the-Wold ,Moreton-in-the-Marsh, St Just-in-Roseland.

Some sound like characters from a 19th century novel. Stoke Rochford, Stanton Harcourt, Compton Beauchamp and Hampton Lucy.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh the Slaughters - how could Kate not believe they are real ? Nothing sinister about the name by the way, Slaughter derives from the Old English word `Slough' meaning `wet land'. If you're looking for sinister - we have a Kidnappers Lane in Cheltenham !!
The Cotswolds do through up some interesting names though - my personal faavourite is Broughton Poggs (near Burford); and as for your 19th century characters Pete - well you were staying just down the road from Compton Cassey !!

The Quacks of Life said...

Kate knew the Slaughters well. I think it was the yorkies who didn't.

Compton Cassey, Broughton Poggs? never saw those.

Shipton-under-Wyhchwood is good. Sounds right for a fantasy novel

Cherrypie said...

There's a street just round the corner from my office called The Land of Green Ginger. There's a branch of my former bank there - I tried to swap accounts so I could have that written on my chequebook.

You might also have heard me mention Far Ings. Well, the street sign to that regularly gets defaced with an errant "T"

Anonymous said...

Youlgreave - pronounced Youlgrave. We also have Carsick Hill nearby, Bellend and Deepsick, also Lad's Grave and JawBones Hill - blimey who'd live in Derbyshire????

nicola said...

Talking of names....what about peoples nicknames?? Eh poppet? Now you know Boo will comment on your real nickname...me cruel..never!!!

The Quacks of Life said...

Dawn - you learn something new everyday and who would like to live in Derbyshire......


Megan - a new one on me, I like that!!

Nicola - tut tut

Anonymous said...

my favourite in cornwall is playing place and pityme and don!t forget the one in kent called pratts bottom

Boo said...

WE have Lower Pydle and Middle Pydle!

The Birdman said...

Oh... I LOVE place names... see my profile.

Wetwang is pretty famous for the obvious connotational meaning, and I really have been to The Land of Nod.

Boo said...

Sorry posted Wyre Piddle in the wrong place!

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.