Friday, September 25, 2020

Chickney Church

I had considered going to Audley today but the forecast was awful so I didn't. When I woke it wasn't as bad as I feared so I wandered out I decided there haven't been enough churches on the blog lately (for obvious reasons) and I knew Chickney (which is in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust) would  be open.

As I've said before when I first tried to find Chickney about 20 years ago it was a nightmare. I had driven past many times but never knew where Chickney was (I had been on the road as well). Today ? flipping easy as there are signposts saying CHURCH :) Apparently there are 38 people or so in the village. 

The church was built pre the conquest (end of 10th/beginning of 11th Century). This is not evident from the outside but inside the Saxon origins are more obvious. This is not a church that the Victorians messed about with







The furnishings are so cute. 




The altar slab was removed during the reformation and was  restored in the 19th century when refound.




It's a lovely little church and great that the CCT keep it open.



1 comment:

Ragged Robin said...

What a beautiful and interesting church :) Good news the Victorians didn't get there hands on it! The CCT do sterling work have been to two of their churches now and they were well signposted too. There is one near Stratford I would like to visit at some stage. Love the ornate font cover!

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.