Saturday, May 14, 2022

Welcome to Alderney

Two years ago I had a holiday to Guernsey cancelled but finally! I was doing 2 days on Alderney first.

I was up at stupid o'clock! Given all of the horror stories of long queues I checked in and sailed through security. It was busy but I've seen it busier. Most people weren't wearing masks (I was!).

There was some excitement when one couple didn't have photo id (well he did and she had a photo copy of her passport). When asked for their passports or other photo id they were flummoxed saying "but its England". Which of course it is not. I wonder if they booked health insurance? as Guernsey as no reciprocal agreement with the UK. When I went through boarding the same lady who checked me was on the gate and she said they had been let on. Lucky!!

My first plane.


Masks were mandatory. I was to early for flight 2 so I popped outside to enjoy the sun.


The departure lounge was hardly rammed ;)


Flight 2 ... passengers 19!


So checked into my hotel I went for a wander. The island is a crown dependency. 






I wandered up to the capital St Anne. The island is 3 miles by 1.5 and has a population of just over 2000. Amusingly lots of shops were closed Saturday afternoon and they still have half day closing!





There is a small railway to the former quarry




St Anne's church consecrated and built in 1850 to a design of  Sir George Gilbert Scott.
























Unlike the other channel islands Alderney was evacuated during WWII and was used a Prisoner of War camp for Russian and Polish POWs and Jewish Slave workers. The island was liberated 16th May 1945 (hence all the bunting that is up) and people returned December 1945.










There are lots of Victorian fortifications that were adapted by the Germans


German trench.














Why is Guernsey's airline named Aurigny the name of the island of Alderney in French. Alderney had its own dialect of Norman French but this is now extinct.



My hotel is at the right had end of this row of buildings.




I am walking the island tomorrow... the forecast is not good! 

1 comment:

Ragged Robin said...

You are away again :) Gosh looks lovely there - love the postbox and the church. I hope the weather is better than forecast for you tomorrow :)

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.