Wednesday, May 18, 2022

St Peter Port

I decided to head into St Peter Port today. Parking is not good so I decided to get the bus BUT the bus outside my hotel was cancelled so I wandered into the nearest village and got a bus there. 



The Liberation monument



You don't often see a South African War memorial do you!




The parish church.













This is new! A statue to Victor Hugo




So off to Castle Cornet. The keep blew up after lightening struck the magazine of the castle in 1672. The castle is actually a separate island but is now permanently linked



















Museum to 201 Squadron "Guernseys Own" which was dissolved but since my last visit has been reformed.












Museum to the Guernsey Militia



















I wandered down to the La Valette underground Museum.




















Uniform of a slave labourer on Alderney.






I  got the bus back to St Martins and stopped to say hello to La Gran’mère du Chimquièreit is thought to date to 2500 BC and sits outside St Martins Church. It once sat inside the churchyard and a warden in 1860 tried to destroy it (it was broken in two) but outraged parishioners restored it.


No comments:

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.