Sunday, May 15, 2022

Walking the island of Alderney

The weather forecast according to the BBC was pants (thunderstorms). The met office and XC weather were marginally better. So out came my light waterproof which sits in the foreign travel case (last used in Venice apparently as it still had a ticket in a pocket ;) ) 

Now food. Outside of St Anne and Braye there were 3 food establishments listed on my map 2 were restaurants and one a campsite cafe. I had no idea where I would get to.... in my room were 2 packs of biscuits and 2 apples so they went in my bag. 





War Memorial 


Alderney's fate was different to the other islands. It was totally evacuated and was used by the Germans with a number of slave labour camp for Jewish slave labourers and for Soviet and Polish POWs being built. No one including the locals know how many were killed. Whereas the Germans treated the islanders on Guernsey and Jersey well the Eastern Europeans and Jewish people were treated abhorrently.













The Odeon a German command post. You can visit (I didn't you'll see a similar one later).














                                       







The above is attached to 














Barracks of 1790.









I'd forgotten he live here! 


And and about lunchtime I wandered into St Anne LOL. Many places were closed but I wandered into a cafe. Coffee culture has not visited here and my request for Cappuccino became a filter coffee ;) I had brie and cranberry sandwiches. The staff were very nice.

Fully sated I wandered on.






By the time I arrived back in Braye I had done 9.65 miles.  I think I've earned this.


The BBC was still forecasting thunderstorms! (we had  had a few spots earlier, I mean spots!)



I ended up with 11 miles clocked up! I saw Wheatear, Stonechat, Gannets, Meadow and Rock Pipits oh an a Painted Lady. Sorry RR ;) Very enjoyable day if different. Oh the apples and biscuits were uneaten ;)


2 comments:

Ragged Robin said...

I hope it stopped dry for you. A lovely walk and I like the Selfies :) Looks a great little island and I especially liked the Roman Fort. Very sad though about atrocities in the war - must have been awful for those who lived there at the time.

The Quacks of Life said...

Hi RR

the island was evacuated so no one saw what went on. On Guernsey they saw the prisoners mistreated but the full scale wasn't uncovered until after the war.

It is a lovely island!

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.