Monday, May 09, 2022

Hatfield Forest

The sun was shining, the forecast was  good so I headed to Hatfield Forest. 

I grabbed a coffee and sat by the lake. Alas I saw no Grebes or Terns and there were no hirundines over (I did see a swallow later). One of the swans was giving the Canada Geese grief.













Now something that happened that GOBSMACKED me. The lake area is dogs on leads and dogs are not permitted in the lake not least because there is blue/green algae in it. This chap (older than me so not young) had his dog standing in the water and was ENCOURAGING to go after 2 Mallards. The dog to its credit just stood there, when the ducks swam off he muttered "you've missed your chance". 

A minute later a group of 4 woman walked down the path, they had no intention of stopping their conversation, so I stepped off the path. One woman said thank you BUT come on people common courtesy! 

Now I love the National Trust but they need to decide what they are, either they are Heritage Charity committed to its properties or it is a destination place I don't think it can do both! As it is it wants to be all things to all people. The local staff do a grand job I think it comes from higher up. The rules on dogs are a mess. At Hatfield there is a dog free area, a dogs on leads area and an area where there are no rules but keep your dog on a lead near the livestock. MANY dog walkers observe this but quite a few don't. English Heritage's rules are easy. Dogs allowed on leads at all times.

Anyway rant over :) And on with a nice walk.









The buttercups aren't QUITE fully out... pretty though :)















 


No comments:

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.