Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Podcasts

I am so fed up with the news/politics that I've given up on the radio, even comedy shows have become painful.

I'd heard of podcasts but have never really investigated them but came across an app called google podcasts, I knew that my colleague and uber boss Sue listened to podcasts and asked for a few recommendations.

Now I have a car that is  not exactly connected ;) So I have bought myself an Ultimate Ears Wonderboom 2 Bluetooth speaker and am listening to podcasts on my way to and from work and whenever I am driving.

Now there are thousands of casts but I soon subscribed to the English Heritage and Nations Trust podcasts, Of the two I prefer the EH one, I expected to dislike the NT's podcast about the Beatles Houses in Liverpool  but found it engaging ... go figure. Both are worth a listen as it the podcast of the separate National Trust magazine

Sue recommended History Extra (The podcast of the BBC history magazine), The History of England (a narrative history of England by "some  guy in a shed) and the History of Rome (the narraive history of Rome from its founding to the fall).

History Extra is published monthly and highlights stories from the latest magazine issue. It has been going since June 2007 so there are lots to get through. 

The History of England originally started from about Alfred the Great (I think) but the author did an Anglo Saxon one which he has since merged into one cast. There are over 283 episodes and he is up to the reformation. He's fairly humorous and it is a good listen.

The History of Rome starts from the legend of the founding to the fall. It is now completed there are over 170 episodes... I felt it was a bit dull but after about 20 episodes the author finds it's voice and it is really good.

The History of England has its own facebook pages and when I asked for recommendations for other casts I got loads! So History buffs will be find lots of contents.

My driving has gotten more fun and informative.


No comments:

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.