Sunday, October 06, 2019

Hailes Abbey & Sudeley Castle

I awoke to find that the weather forecast was changed from rain to a decent day so I changed my plans...

I went to Hailes Abbey. Outside the church ruins is Hailes Church which acted as chapel outside the gate but actually predates the abbey being consecrated in 1175. It is has no known dedication.












Hailes Abbey is a favourite of mine.... Oh ok I appreciate the ruins are sparse but it is. I first visited in 2000 in March it was freezing cold and the 2 EH staff were amazed I did the audio tour. I really enjoyed this you are initially "greeted" by a lay brother from the early 14th century  and as it goes on it switches to a monk at close to the dissolution and you learn that the lay brother died in the black death and continue the tour.... EH have changed the route and now you switch between the two and learn he died at the end!!

At the dissolution the abbey buildings were mostly taken away. The Abbots lodging became a house and a garden created. The house fell into ruins and it was until the beginning of the 20th century that the abbey ruins uncovered.

Hailes was founed by Richard, Earl of Cornwall in 1246. Richard was the brother of Henry III


Hailes was reputed to contain a phial of the blood of christ and a Chevet was built so you could walk around it.














So off to Sudeley Castle Garden. Which I might add are lovely.






















The chapel for the castle is actually now a parish church (it may always have been). It is the only parish church to have the tomb of an English Queen. What you seen is heavily restored as when the castle was slighted the church lost most of its roof.









The tomb is Victorian











I sat here and read my book


Nice!










I was going to have a coffee in Broadway but the car park was full so I drove up the road to Snowshill ;)


A lovely day!

1 comment:

Ragged Robin said...

It looks a wonderful day out and the photos are super. Hailes Abbey (and the church there!) look interesting - will add it to my list of EH places to visit. Sudeley Castle is a place I would very much like to visit :) Mr Quacks looks happy with his scone :) Glad it was dry for you :)

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.