Saturday, July 29, 2006

Pottering about

I really didn't know where to go today. I eventually decided to go to Chigborough Lakes near Maldon in Essex.




My one previous visit was in winter and it was a bit chilly. Today it was lovely not as hot as it has been thankfully.

It was a nice walk lots of common birds whitethroat, Green Woody, Great Spot, lots of ducks and juve grebes. About 8 Herons and 4 Little Egrets.

Also lots of darters and Brown Hawkers. One of the darters was interesting but I didn't get a decent photo. Think this one is a female/immature Ruddy Darter. I think!







After lunch I went down Rye Meads. Much of the usual stuff about. Brief view of Kingfisher, lots of Terns, juve Little Grebes, juve Great Crested Grebe (unusual at RM!). Also loads of young ducks.







Four Little Egrets reported, I saw 3.



There were loads of Painted Ladies.






6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also saw some very young ducklings yesterday - it seems very late in the season for ducks to be nesting.

The Quacks of Life said...

i wonder if its the heat confusing them?

nicola said...

Great photos pete, the flutters are particulary stunning

Cherrypie said...

Oi, Web-Foot. I'm catching you up in Kate's quiz.

I haven't been out birding for ages. My binoculars are still in the bottom of the bag from my trip to Scotland. Will have to dust them off for Potteric in a couple of weeks.

What are your plans on the Saturday? I'll meet you at far Ings if you are over that way

The Quacks of Life said...

sat? dunno will think!!

flicker said...

Nice pics Pete. Glad someone had some decent weather yesterday. It pee'd down virtually all day here yesterday. :(

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.