Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Phones, staying in touch

Apparently 48% of all landline numbers in the UK are ex-directory (including mine) - Actually if you consider the number of mobiles there are now the figure is way higher than that..

This is not true in other countries apparently. According to the BBC website one Australian firm has less than 20% of its number unlisted.

Years ago of course everyone wanted to be in the directory, it was a status symbol. You owned a phone. My Mother was once asked how she could afford to buy her own house but not have a phone. Actually that was how...... so whilst there friends were renting or struggling to pay the Mortgage they paid their's off early

I think my parents wished they were ex-directory given the amount of junk phone calls they used to get. Fixed though by registering them with the Telephone Preference Service.

I'm ex-directory simply because if I want you to know my number I'll tell you. VERY few people know it, I normally give out my mobile - I can turn that off. Of course when I'm out I never turn my phone off in case someone wants me - hardly ever happens. Hell I even take my work phone with me, darned sad since they are never need me. Its not even that I feel essential they can cope quite easily.

I wonder though if its as simple as avoiding marketing calls etc. Many Britains don't know there neighbours anymore. I am nodding acqauintance with one side and on the other I have new neighbours whom I have not only never spoken to but never met. Think they've been in two weeks.

I hope they don't think I'm unfriendly (well actually I am!), I'll say hi if i see them outside. And then desperately try and remember there names (and fail). It'll be the usual "Hello Pete" from them and me "Oh hi you well" thinking what the f**k is your name!!

Is this is a South East thing? Is it different Oop North?

UPDATE - please note the unfriendly comment was a gentle bit of humour. I do smile at people and say hello even. I am terrible at names. I kept calling Cheryl Cherry to her face at Bempton for goodness sake.

11 comments:

Boo said...

Yes, it is so different ooooop North. People say hello to when you are out walking even if they have never met you before, whereas in the Midlands they look away, don't want to meet your eye. I was looking in a furniture shop in Morecambe and a complete stranger started up a conversation with me about the "showpiece". The shop assistants call you love, pet, darling or dear and are not condescending or patronising when they say it.

Give me ooop north anyday, the natives are very friendly!

Robbiegirl said...

Yep, we are lovely. :)

flicker said...

It's pretty much the same here Boo, whether it's just this village though or Wales in general. I know hardly anyone, through my own choosing, but you can walk down the road, and people will smile and say hello, that you've never seen before in your life, and that includes teenage boys, whom you would normally not want to make eye contact with elsewhere sometimes!

I'm also ex-directory, mainly for the sales calls thing, still used to get them though, it's from entering your number on websites, my old ISP I am sure used to sell our details on, the amount of junk emails and phone calls I used to get when I was with them was unbelievable, and they of course, denied it. I'm also with TPS. I always put my mobile number too now on websites, as you say, you can turn it off. I have caller display too, and often don't answer it if I don't know who it is, and I never answer withheld numbers, they can leave a message on 1571, funny how the they never do though!

Unknown said...

Yes, it's the same here. People say hello in the street, and I know nearly all of my neighbours. There is only one lot we don't know and they come are from somewhere in the south. They've been there for two years and I couldn't even tell what their names are.

To be honest I don't think you would like them much, just after they moved in, they ripped out a hedge which was home to a family of blue tits. I miss seeing them.

The Quacks of Life said...

so its us Southerners...

Kate I wouldn't like them ripping up hedges. Birds rule.

To be fair I'll smile and say hello! Well sometimes!

nicola said...

Sorry I dont agree with you pete! Being a suvverner! I cant step many steps down the high street without a smile or a morning, but then I take the time to smile and say hello to people that pass me!!! Not as I know them, but I enjoy giving a smile away to get one in return, not many if any suvvereners here will pass me and not smile or say hello back! I know Im part of the community with my job, but sometimes I do think it takes some one to make the first move. After all we could all put out heads down and ignore our fellow beings, but I think that would be just sad.

The Quacks of Life said...

Nic - I will say hi to people, smile etc IF I see them.

nicola said...

Well you say you are unfriendly in your post, which I dont really bleieve, however it is really down to us. You say you smile IF you see them, your neighbours? Or in general? If you wanted to you would get to know your neighbours, hey they arnt going to start wearing a name badge, some times it takes a little getting off our own arses and making an effort!

Thats of course if you want too.

The Quacks of Life said...

the unfriendly comment was of course a quip!

Smile? actually in generalish, if I pass someone on my local patch I'll smile and say hello

honestly I'm not good at remembering names.

The Birdman said...

Hey Paul, you and me both mate.

Oop North, Dahn Sarf, don't seem to make a difference to me... I never remember anyone's name.

Power to the ex-dir mob, that's all I can say.

:thumbs:

Cherrypie said...

I'm not bothered about you calling me Cherry to my face, it's what you call me out of earshot that's more worrying x

And yes, we are a very friendly lot on the whole. I speak to every stranger I meet when I'm out, just in case they are needed for a Crimewatch re-enactment.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.