Friday, June 04, 2021

Live Music at Saffron Hall with the Castalian Quartet

A couple of weeks ago Saffron Hall posted some upcoming live socially distanced concerts. I sort of ummed and aahed but when I looked at the tickets it was obvious that the hall would be very quiet and very safe so I booked tickets for 3 concerts of which the first was tonight.

I arrived at the mandated time (10 minutes before start) picked up my pre-ordered diet coke and went to my seat. I was in an area that seats 28... there were 3 of us! and I reckon 15 in total on the balcony which supports 150? The main auditorium had all seats removed and the there were individual tables of 2 and 4 for family groups. Even then not all seats were taken.

It was the first concert they have done there in 5 months and the first I had been there since February 2020!!  

It was an hour of string quartets with the Castalian Sting Quartet who won the 2019 Royal Philharmonic Society Young Artist of the Year. The programme was:

Janacek - String Quartet No 1 in E minor "Kreutzer Sonata"

Dvorak - String Quartet in A flat Op 105

It was blissful to see and hear live music again as opposed to through speakers. The hour passed quickly and alas there were too few of us to give the musicians the amount of noise they deserved but it was wonderful. I am back Sunday ;)





No comments:

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.