Tuesday, June 01, 2021

Catching up on the walks

I've spent the last two days walking. Well that's not strictly true. I spent the mornings waking. For instance yesterday afternoon I listened to music and finished the book I was reading. 

I had downloaded a collection of 3 Clifford Simak novels for £2.99. The second one in the book is Way Station which I first read certainly close to 35 years ago and haven't read since. It tells the story of  an American Civil War veteran  chosen by an alien to administer a way station for interplanetary travel. It won the Hugo award for best Science Fiction novel. I remember thoroughly enjoying it when I first read it and embarked on a reread with a bit of trepidation but I needn't have worried as it was still superb. Simak style is usually called simple and pastoral which this definitely is. If you want to read one Simak novel then this is an excellent choice. 

Anyway Monday


Both broods are still all there on one of my local ponds. The older one may soon be able to fly off.

You can see the difference ages in the next two photos.










Tuesday




There are 4 foals on the common I've discovered as there was another one at the other end. This one looks a lot younger.


This pony had got loose and so the foal followed her.




Three foals together  :) 



People were fishing at the common pond yesterday. Today there was no one and !! 


These are much younger than the birds on the Newhall pond. I saw 6. There were none last year and it makes up for the lack of ducklings.




  

There seems to lots more Goldfinch about these days.


Oh and I had a Greenfinch on the feeder :)

1 comment:

Ragged Robin said...

Cute foals and ducklings - a lovely set of photos Pete :)

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.