Wednesday, August 05, 2020

Birding, a church and a walk.

I was in one of those I want to do something but I don't know what moods this morning.

As Rye Meads was open I went there. I mean I'll see no birds but it's a pleasant walk.....

I arrived and was told the Draper hide was open! Only 3 people at a time and there was a 25 minute limit but WOO HOO!!

I duly arrived at the Draper and there was only one other person so in I went. My reward was 4 Green Sandpiper, 2 Lapwing and a Snipe nice! As I left one of the staff came in to decontaminate :) They tell me this is an experiment which I hope works!

I was struggling for photos.... butterflies, dragonflies etc all refused to pose.

Thankfully a mallard with her chicks went for a swim




I saw something fly and couldn't work out what it is. looked very read with white and it was a Jersey Tiger Moth. Looks very different in flight to the black and white image I posted here . Sorry the pic is poor it was in shade and flew... :( but you can see the colours


I set off home to get a sandwich.... Now St James, Stanstead Abbots is a Churches Conservation Trust close to the entrance road to Rye Meads. It is in the book and obviously I ticked it off years ago as it is the church closest to my house. I always thought it opened June-Sept Sunday 2-5 but it seems to be under new hours and a sign said open!  Well! I put my mask on and in I went
















Annoyingly I had no change I have got out of the habit of carrying change so I need to go back (this is becoming a habit!) and stick a quid in.

My step count was still low ( yes I am a bit obsessed but I am on a slight healthy living kick) so ....

A short stroll...

The ducks seem to have gone , I am not worried as they were all grown up and it was time. 4 Canada Geese  seem to have turned up (they were there the other day). I think 1 adult 3 Juveniles as one was much bigger.


Note the patch on the back of its head.




No comments:

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.