Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Scampston Hall and Pickering Castle

And so where today? 

I wandered first to Scampston Hall. The Hall was built at the end of the 17th century and remodelled during the Regency. 

There were guided tours of the hall but I did that on my first visit in 2010! The introduction was by the then baronet. 

At the time I wasn't a fan of the Piet Oudolf garden but I had to admit last year that it really had grown on me! Combined with the older Capability Brown landscape it makes for a good visit! The cafe again did home made sandwiches which is nice after the prepacked stuff.











































So after a coffee I headed to Pickering Castle for a wander. There has been a castle (wooden) since 1070 for the William the Conqueror harrying of the North! It was developed over the next few centuries. Only the chapel managed to survive relatively intact. It has some nice views of the surrounding area.



























1 comment:

Ragged Robin said...

Cute ducklings and another great castle :) Weather looks good!

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.