Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Part 2 - Mount Grace Priory

Mount Grace is a ruined Carthusian Abbey. There are lots of ruined abbey's up here but this must be one of my favourites. Perhaps Fountains and Rievaulx are grander and possibly historically more important but Mount Grace has more charm.

OK a ruined abbey.... I know there's a garden but I won't need my camera the phone will be fine.....






Oh good lord !! Where's the camera!!  LOL


Ooh hello.... she was just sat there static and then I notice two little cygnets and 2 eggs.... but no dad




CAMERA ARGH! 


Anyway as I walked towards the abbey ruins 4 gardeners were having a break. I apologised for interrupting but was the male about as the female swan had 2 cygnets with 2 eggs? Apparently he was about but they were very excited about the Cygnets as earlier there had only been eggs. So off we went and a hurried message brought a few others to watch. It looked like the other 2 were cracking but nothing happened alas.  

Now I do like the way they all wanted to see the cygnets. I am told this is the 4th year.



So off to the ruins. There were 10 Carthusian  houses in Britain and Mount Grace is the best preserved. 





The brothers lived in cells not dormitories and led a solitary existence.

One of the cells was restored in the early 20th century before it was given to  English Heritage. I wonder if it would be done today? Perhaps given what EH did at Richborough. It certainly adds to the site. 
















Quick check on the swans! Alas no further action. 




There is an arts and crafts house but I passed as I was more into the ruins and swan watch this time ;)


Definite worth a visit,


1 comment:

Ragged Robin said...

Wonderful abbey ruins - EH do look after these places so well. Great news about the swans and cygnets and lovely to read of the reaction of the staff there :) Take the camera next time :) I shall really have to think of another holiday in North Yorkshire especially with all those abbeys!

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.