Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Part 1 - Kiplin Hall

For ease I'm going to split today into two 

For some reason the name Kiplin Hall had escaped my attention but I happened to drive past on the way back from Richmond Castle last year and so added it to my list of places to visit when I returned and so today...

Kiplin Hall was built around 1622 and the Victorians came along and did there usual stuff. It was requisitioned during WWII and in 1958 it was offered to the National Trust who considered it not historically important and that parts of it would need demolishing. Now I can see part of the National Trust's point but I like the Victorian library for instance and it is certainly is a nice property to visit. The lake was full of wildlife ooh Sand Martins :) and the cafe was lovely! No pre-packed sandwiches here but freshly made and I was more than happy to pay for the privilege. 

I ought to add that the last owner Bridget Talbot sounds a remarkable woman. Nurse on the Italian/Austrian front in WWI. Inventor of a water proof torch for airman in World War II and she secured the Halls future through the Kiplin Trust. She twice stood for parliament as a Liberal and frankly I'd vote for her over the numpties we currently have.

An earlier owner George Calvert was the founder of Maryland and also set up the the first sustained English settlement on the southeastern peninsula on the island of Newfoundland. He was put off by the climate hence he went to Maryland.

Anyway some photos :)





























































OK it isn't the finest house in North Yorkshire but it definitely is worth a visit and I'll add it to my revisit list



1 comment:

Ragged Robin said...

What a wonderful place Pete and the gardens are super. The wooden carvings are a lovely touch.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.