Tuesday, November 09, 2021

King's College Chapel and Church of St Mary the Great

I was back in Cambridge today this time to visit King's College Chapel.

The chapel was started by Henry VI in 1446  and completed by Henry VII and VIII. The structure was completed by 1515 (there was a hiatus ... something called the War of the Roses) and it was glazed during Henry VIII reign. 

The magnificent fan vaulted roof is the work of John Wastell who was also responsible for the central tower at Canterbury Cathedral. The glass were, all but one, the work of Flemish glaziers, including Barnard Flower who also worked at Fairford. 

It is in my opinion one of the finest buildings of its period. 

Every Christmas Eve it hosts is a famed Carol concert  and to me when the lone Chorister sings 'Once in Royal David's City' Christmas has started.



































Just across from King's College Chapel is the church of St Mary the Great. It is a fine building but to be honest it is slightly outshone by its neighbour across the street











1 comment:

Ragged Robin said...

oh wow!! I have goosebumps looking at the photos of Kings - how I would love to visit. We used to go to Cambridge for the day when I was a child but I haven't been since. I agree about when Christmas starts and that particularly moving carol! Love the last two wooden carvings at the second church!

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.