Friday, September 10, 2021

Some Essex Churches

I got my hair cut this morning. Not exactly a note worthy event but I always leave it too long. I think nah not yet not yet then wake up realising I should have done it a week ago! At least! 

I was in one of those moods. I wanted to do lots of things but didn't want to if you know what I mean? I decided I wanted a coffee and a proper Sausage Sandwich and there was a cafe I wanted to try near Great Bardfield so off I went. Sandwich nice but the cafe? Not convinced somehow, can't put my finger on it.

Great Bardfield Church is worth a look. It was open for "private prayer"... mmmm well no one in there so... 

St Mary the Virgin, Great Bardfield

If you ask me what a typical church looks like (and yes I KNOW there is no such thing) this is probably what I'd imagine.

According to Pevsner the chancel and west tower are late 12th century and the rest mostly late 14th.






Bardfield's claim to fame is the late 14th century stone rood screen. These are quite rare but curiously there are two within 5 miles of one and other in Essex. The other is at Stebbing and this is earlier than Bardfields. The figures are a Victorian reconstruction by Bodley.











I decided to try another local church that I have never been in. My one effort found it locked and the keyholder out. Well it was hardly likely to be open in these Covid times but hey it is worth a photo.

St Peter & St Paul Little (Bardfield) Saling. 

Apparently the place is either Little or Bardfield Saling. I never knew that. The notice board used Little (Barfield) Saling so that is what I've gone with.  




OOH its open.



You will have noticed  the awful east end in the above picture. 

The sign above says legend says there was once at Apse at the end of the church Pevsner says the chance was shortened in the 17th century, remodelled in the 19th and again following bomb damage in WWII. The church notice says the work was done quickly and alas it looks poor :( 



Jacobean pulpit






You will have noticed the round tower. These are unusual in Essex (6 I believe). Normally Round Towers are associated with the Saxons I believe this one is 14th Century 



2 comments:

Ragged Robin said...

Super churches Pete. I hope you are enjoying Pevsner and finding it useful :) The rood screen in the first church is just amazing. Glad you finally found the second church open. The only place I have seen round towered churches is in Norfolk but I think Suffolk has many too? They really are rather special.

The Quacks of Life said...

There are 186 in England including those in a semi-ruinous condition and visible remnants of fallen towers. All are in East Anglia except for three in Sussex and two in Berkshire. Norfolk has 131, Suffolk 41, Essex seven and two in Cambridgeshire, according to the leading architect and authority on round tower churches, Stephen Hart. :)

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.