Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Montacute and Forde

I seem to be on holiday.... not sure how it happened. 

So first stop was Montacute. Montacute was built in 1598, at the end of the Tudor period, by Edward Phelips who became speaker of the house in 1603. Later he was a prosecutor of the gunpowder plot.



























































I then headed to Forde Abbey. Forde is a former Cistercian Monastery which is in Dorset with a Somerset address. It was surrendered to the crown in 1539 and has been converted to a private home. It has a particularly fine garden.


































A nice day!

1 comment:

Ragged Robin said...

Montacute looks impressive - I do like the portraits. Forde Abbey Gardens look beautiful - I think I have said before I'd like to visit there. The weather looks good - have a great few days.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.