Saturday, September 04, 2021

Canons Ashby and Lower Shuckborough Church

There was a church in Warwickshire that I "needed". I had tried many moons ago and when I contacted them I was told to contact Lady.... so I passed. As I was "in the area" in November I asked again and was told it would be open 2-4 Saturdays until to the end of September....

ARGH... but hang on I could visit Canons Ashby first and my favourite Cotswolds pub had a room so ...

Canons Ashby is an Elizabethan house in Northamptonshire. Until it passed in to the hands of the National Trust it had been owned by the Dryden family since around 1550. The family never had lots of money so the house hasn't been modernised as some have. The garden have houses escaped the Capability Brown treatment and are therefore an important survival. It isn't huge but is nice and a great place to sit and read.

Indeed if the National Trust are reading this ;) I like Canons because it seems less corporate than some. I think being away from other trust properties has that affect, Gunby Hall in Lincolnshire evokes that reaction. I long for the days when properties were more unique. They now all have the same gift range in the shop etc etc. 

Canons Ashby gets its name from the Augustinian priory which was founded in the 12th century. A small fraction of the monastic church survives. In 1551 it became the private chapel of the Dryden family who unusually kept the church open as a parish church. Today it is owned by the National Trust and is one of 4 privately owned parish churches (apparently, and no I don't know the others).






































































And so 

893 St John the Baptist, Lower Shuckborough 

It was built in 1864 to a design by John Croft. It is on a medieval site. It looks conventional outside but is very Eastern inside. I've seen it described as Moorish Gothic.














2 comments:

Ragged Robin said...

Canon's Ashby looks lovely. I really must visit it at some stage. I am glad you finally managed to visit the church. It looks most unusual! I will check how far it is from here if it is open for a few hours for the rest of the month.

The Quacks of Life said...

Canons is nice, I like it ! The church is closer to you than CA

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.