Monday, February 01, 2021

Out and About

We are still in winter but there are hints of spring, Robins are singing and when you see two together you know where their thoughts are turning. We had a bit of light Sunday for a change.






You don't see as many old Post Boxes this days.


Poor ponies, it is very boggy.






So where to today? I looked at the OS map last night and thought I go somewhere I'd never been,

Here is the clock tower. this time up close ! 



I've never walked upon this path and when I cam back to a residential bit, I found a church I've never seen or heard of! I think it isn't CofE.


I arrived at a part of town I recognised. I've driven past this sculpture many many times. It is called Solo Flight by Antanas Brazdys. I'd forgotten that this used to be in the Harvey Centre (many years ago). 


Harlow New Town is really a conglomeration of villages. Where as Netteswell Church I showed you last week is surrounded by houses, Latton has been allowed some dignity in its surroundings. St Mary's Laton or St-Mary-at-Latton dates to the 12th century but bomb damage in 1945 and was hit by fire in 1964 and therefore completely restored in 1965 

"The restoration of 1965, designed by Laurence King, has given the church a clean, modern appearance." According to the church website! 








Apparently Latton was long and thin village. There was a Latton Priory a few miles South. I have ordered the Pevsner for Essex which may give me more information

Just along the road is Our Lady of Fatima a Roman Catholic Church. I've actually been in that one and it had some modern glass. Photos wouldn't have been appropriate.



This is part of Harlow Museum and Walled Garden. I have been in the museum years ago when it was located elsewhere.

According to the website 

The museum is located in the stable block of the former Mark Hall Manor House – visited on three occasions by Queen Elizabeth I.

It is surrounded by the beautiful 16th century walled gardens which make a perfect picnic spot in the spring and summer.

The museum’s 3 galleries tell the story of Harlow, displaying local finds from a mammoth tusk to the remarkable local Roman collection, discovered in part at Harlow’s Roman temple site nearby.

There is also a cycle collection. I'll have to visit when it is permitted.


This is another Brazdys




There used to be loads of signs of this style. I thought they had all gone!!


And I found this on a pillar at the end of a front garden.





1 comment:

Ragged Robin said...

You really are finding some interesting features locally Pete and good to see there are churches to photograph within walking distance. I hope you find Pevsner interesting and a help. It will help keep you occupied!!! :)

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.