Saturday, February 13, 2021

Well I didn't expect that!

When I started this local birdwatching walk lark I had no great expectations. As time went on and I found more places to walk I got a bit more optimistic and thought well I might see this or I might see that. I had hopes a Tufted Duck might turn up on a local pond or a Greylag goose and so far they haven't but I have seen birds I never expected to see.

The local ponds (5 of them, I haven't been to Netteswell and New Hall recently) are all frozen. I could walk out over the common as it is frozen but the long way is reliable for common birds.



The Starling is a lovely looking bird! 





So I am walking along the common road by some long grass and I step off to allow a car to pass and up out of the grass flies a bird.... bins up SNIPE! You could have knocked me down with a feather that was not one I ever expected.  I live in hope of a Siskin or Redpoll but a Snipe? It flew to the reed around the common pond.

A bit further some birds flew into some trees/bushes and one was a female Bullfinch. Pretty sure there was a male amongst them as I caught some pink as they flew.

These are in one of the fields


I reached a certain point which is more exposed and the wind was blowing right in my face so I thought blow this and headed back.

Lots of Redwings about today. 




Another good walk! 

1 comment:

Ragged Robin said...

Great news on the snipe and lovely bird photos. Good luck tomorrow :)

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.