Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Knightshayes

So I've left Portlock Weir and headed back to the Devon/Somerset/Dorset border.

I stopped at Knightshayes a Victorian house designed by William Burges for the Heathcoat-Amory family. Burges never completed the interior as his "flamboyant interiors proved to much for Sir John and Lady Henrietta". According to the trust they commissioned less flamboyant Gothic interiors from the prestigious decorator John Dibble Grace. The family weren't happy with these and they were covered up but later restored.

Knightshayes is a house I admire but not one I'd like to own if that makes sense.

It has a fine walled and main garden.
























































































The weather was dry today and I managed to sit and read. 

1 comment:

Ragged Robin said...

Super house Pete and lovely photos.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.