Tuesday, January 04, 2022

Local churches

It was grey, wet and cold when I poked my nose out of the front door this morning so rather than go for a walk I went to visit to local churches. I had no idea if they would be open.

There are 3 Lavers near Harlow. I visited High Laver MANY years ago (it has the tomb of  John Locke) and I walked to Magdalene Laver last year. 

St Mary the Virgin, Little Laver

The church has a delightful setting next to a farm and duck pond. The church is a simple structure and relatively small. The church is 14th century (and a rebuild of an earlier norman church) but was very heavily restored in 1872 by J Goldicott Turner. The font is 12th century by recut in 1872. 










I presume this was full recently? Only the well loved bear remains. Hands up who thinks I may need to check up on him later in the year ;)





The apse was also added in the restoration.  The church is simple but charming and seemingly well loved. Not only are there the 3 Laver churches but the benefice has Fyfield church and Matching Church and these are not big places. I wonder how all are kept open but they all seem well loved and that makes me happy.

When I was a child we often went to Matching Green. It has a large village green (with cricket pitch) and pond. There used to a run down house with masses of old statues in the garden but these have long gone and it is now very gentrified. In Autumn we sometimes would drive to the church and I would collect conkers. Now this church is not, as I thought as a child, Matching Green church. There are three Matchings. Matching Green, Matching Tye and Matching. The church is actually in Matching. As I turned down the road I suddenly realised it was further than I remembered and there was a lovely large pond with well over 50 Canada Geese and half a dozen swans, there was no parking so I headed on. I am pretty sure I tried to enter once before but found it locked but today it was open.

St Mary the Virgin, Matching.

The church has 13th century North and South Arcades (well the western parts), late 14th century south aisle walls and a 15th century tower. However it was heavily restored by A L Blomfield. There is some Victorian stained glass by Powell and Son. The brass is of 1638.





This is obviously not Victorian but a 21st century memorial window. 







I wandered home and racked up the obligatory 10,000 steps. 

1 comment:

Ragged Robin said...

Beautiful churches and good to find them open!! Hands up please check on teddy bear later in the year :) Love the last piece of stained glass :)

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.