Friday, January 07, 2022

Beauchamp Roding Church

 As the forecast was for good weather I had planned to go somewhere today however this changed when I got the text reminder I had a haircut today! For some reason I thought it was next Friday. So I stayed local. As I had completed the Lavers I contemplated doing the Rodings. Research (Simon Knotts excellent websites) suggested I might be on a sticky wicket as I tried a few and those were closed BUT the first I tried was open.

I saw St Botolphs from the road.  It was sat alone, down a track in a field,  so I thought it would never be open but a sign by the side of the road proclaimed it was open and you know it was! 

St Botolph's, Beauchamp Roding.

It is a mix of 14th and 15th century but heavily restored in the 1870's













Pevsner says the glass is not very good but I didn't think it that bad. Simon Knott reported that the church looked run down in 2014 but in 2019  looked in better shape. Whatever the church seems to be well loved and is open! I wonder why the others I tried weren't ?

The church isn't worth a long detour but is certainly worth visiting if you are in the area if only to support whoever keeps it open! 

1 comment:

Ragged Robin said...

It looks a lovely church and good to hear it is well loved and was open. They still seem to have Christmas items on display :) I like some of the stained glass windows more than others! Hope Pevsner is coming in handy :)

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.