Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Walking ever walking

I am still here :) There seems to be a bit of light with various vaccines within sight but for now it's a case of carrying on as were. I was so conscious of getting my Tesco Christmas order I forgot to book a visit to the forest and when I remembered the morning availability was gone. 

Anyway a few walks.

Sunday I walked to Hobbs Cross and back.  

Alas spot the abandoned tyres? Take them down the dump.








The farmers have been hedge triming










Years ago I went to visit Harlowbury Chapel. The idea of walking there 9 months ago would have been laughable but Monday off I went. 






This is a tumulus apparently well that's what it is labelled on my OS Map. Actually a bit of research tells us its a Bronze Age bowl barrow later used by the Anglo-Saxons as a meeting place (moot hill or mutlow) T'he Old English word for a mound or barrow which they reused in this way was "hlaew" This has given its name to Harlow.







Harlowbury Chapel.... dates to 1180 and is the oldest building in Harlow. I went in in 2007. 


If you remember I went to Churchgate Street the other day which is really a part of Old Harlow (or Harlow pre the new town) and I suddenly twigged that this picture I have on my wall from 1903 is of Churchgate street so Tuesday.... 


The hay is being moved! 


Under the M11 



I went to Churchgate Street a different way. I have never walked along this road. 




And here is our view 117 years later! 





I went home the way I got here last time..... mmmm 


A nice few walks coming in at about 19 miles ;) 




2 comments:

Ragged Robin said...

Is that 19 miles in a day??? You must be fit!!! Looks as though you do have some good local walks though and the tumulus looks interesting :) Love the drawing and your photo of the same place 117 years apart. We couldn't get a Tesco Christmas Order :( but managed to get one with ASDA. Today managed to get a Tesco slot between Christmas and New Year though and we have Tesco deliveries booked weekly from now up until just before Christmas. I am stocking up - not just for Christmas but the dreaded Brexit! although not going mad as haven't the storage space!

The Quacks of Life said...

no in 3 days ;)

it is an old B&W photo from 1903 ;)

keep smiling....

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.