Sunday, June 04, 2006

Sunny days and yet more baby birds

Well I decided against getting up early and laid back and carried on with my book.

A good strategy because as I washing up breakfast I saw a baby Blackbird, a baby starling being fed and a young Goldfinch on the feeder!!

After lunch I decided to go to Rye Meads. The water levels are too high for waders - god knows why they have it that high. Still I was delighted to see lots of young Coots at various ages. These were quite near to the hide.





I was also very pleased to see two Ruddy Ducks and a family of pochard.



a pair of Common Tern flew over and dived bombed a harassed Heron!

I strolled on and from the Gadwall Hide and Tern numbers seemed hihg (I was told later they were at a record high).

From the Kingfisher hide the obligatory Kingfisher. Nesting looks like being successful this year after two fallow years.

Lots of warblers in the hedge rows.

As I approached the Tim Andrews hide I came across this family.





After strolling up to the hide I spied this chap sunning himself.



He soon got spooked and I was well chuffed to get a patch tick - Hobby and then another one and then another!! 3 in the same bin view.

Super days birding!

5 comments:

nicola said...

Great photos pete, hasnt it been a lovely sunny day!

KAZ said...

We don't seem to get young pochards round here. The adults just visit for the winter.
Aren't coots marvellous parents?

Anonymous said...

Hi Pete, the URL of my link in your blogroll has unexpectedly changed from co.uk to com... correct URL posted here. You might want to update the link here - sorry about that.

The Quacks of Life said...

Kaz - was surprised to see the pochards you see loads of them in winter. Coots? oh yes they really are mother hens aren't they.

Diddums - thanks for that, i was wondering what had happened!!

Anonymous said...

Me too - was scratching my head :-). Only found out when I did a search on Google and tried a few different links.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.