Wednesday, June 14, 2006

My favourite Activity

Well I booked myself into a pub called the Queen's Head at North Kelsey Moor near Brigg in August.

Wasn't my first choice that was to go to Hay-on-wye and perhaps see Boofy but my perferred hotel was fully booked. Anway North Lincs has loads of churches I want to visit, if I 'm a good boy I should break 600 on my Jenkins list, and a few good birds reserves.

Over the weekend I decided to make a week of it. So last night I phoned around. Full Full Full. Arrrggggghhhhh. Anyway the professional Yorkshireman has not put me off and I'm staying at the Royal Oak, Dacre Banks, North Yorkshire. She kept calling me love on the phone! Now how Northern is that!!

Not sure why I chose Yorkshire since there aren't many churches to tick. Still may be able to track down a dipper and that babe with the infectious grin or birdman Dave may be able to point me at a Red Grouse.

Actually one of the reasons for North Yorkshire are some really lovely houses (a few I've still to visit), some wonderful ruins (Rievaulx, Fountains) and beautiful scenery.

We were discussing where our families were from on Saturday and I've just remembered my family were in Horncastle Lincs in the 18th/19th century.

My Great Great Grandfather John was born in Horncastle. His mother and father David and Mary LAMING were married in Horncastle.

Does this make me a Northerner??

6 comments:

DH59 said...

"Does this make me a Northerner??"

In your dreams, love!!

The Quacks of Life said...

nicest thing you've ever said to me

flicker said...

Laming isn't a very common name, there was a teacher at my senior school in Folkestone with that name - wonder if she is (or probably was) a long lost relation? She seemed elderly in those days, so I would guess she would have passed on by now.

oldcrow61 said...

I got a kick out of people calling you love. Here in this province you will often find people calling you love, in stores, restaurants, etc., even in peoples homes. Of course, most of our families can be traced back to Britain.

The Quacks of Life said...

Hi OC

its very Northern to call someone love.

Cherrypie said...

It's even more common for them to call you "Duck".

There are plenty of Lammings with 2 Ms round here but very few Lame Duxons

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.