Saturday, June 03, 2006

Lackford Lakes and Oxburgh Hall

Well woke up to brilliant sunshine!! So lets get out there.

Decided I hadn't been to Lackford Lakes for a while......

Lots of young birds, the most camera friendly were various canada geese families.













































Whilst strolling down to the first hide I spied a Reed Bunting. Lots of warrblers about and cuckoos singings. The boating lake had some ducks and coots.

From the first hide there were lots of Cormorants, Black Headed Gulls, 4 Great Crested Grebes, Lapwings and Redshanks.

The warbler hide gave views of Reed Warbler!! the double decker hide didn't have the hoped for Kingfisher but saw a pair of Little Ringe Plover and some baby Shelduck too cute.

A few Garden Warblers about singing and my first damselflies of the year. Anyone know what they are ?






























At Besses hide I had super views of Reed and Sedge Warbler and a fly through Green Woodpecker.

On to Stegall Hide more warblers including Blackcap and a family of Blue Tits.

There was a fly through Kingfisher and if you look hard a Barnacle Goose!






























My bird of the day was this Oystercatcher with a baby!































So where now? The national property Oxburgh Hall seemed a reasonable idea.

The hall is a fine moated manor house built in 1480. Unfortunately it is being repaired so not looking its finest.

























































The Bedingfield chapel. It contains the fine Antwerp triptych. I'd love to show you a photo but the National Trust has a no photography rule. I can understand it in a house but in a church? I can buy a postcard of the triptych so its hardly to stop art theft.




















































Next to Oxburgh Hall is the church of St John. In 1948 the perpendicular spire collapsed destroying the nave. The church has been sort of restored and luckily the fabulous Bedingfield chapel with its terracotta tombs.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That are some sweet birdbabies right there :) You always seem to surround yourself with such nature beauty! I envy you.

Cherrypie said...

I think the NT photography ban has more to do with light exposure than preserving copyright. Too many camera flashes could damge the delicate colours. Sounds daft, I know but there might be some merit in it.

Sounds like a lovely day ( much more interesting to read about than sport schmort)

The Quacks of Life said...

Nathalie - that's the idea. I like the peace and quiet of the countryside. Relaxing after a week in the office.

CP - well you did say............

DH59 said...

Well, I've just had a text enquiring why I haven't commented on the Oystercatcher photo. As it gives no indication that it's digiscoped, it's hardly surprising that I made no comment on my brief pass-through yesterday. Having said that, it's a fair effort Mr I-will-definitely-not-be-digiscoping-birder!!!

Blue-tailed Damselfly and Banded Demoiselle.

The Quacks of Life said...

didn't i mention the digi thingy? looks ... whoops.

was taken through the travel scope! light was perfect and i deleted a few and these were cropped for vignetting

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.