Monday, June 12, 2006

Sunday 11th June

We soon discovered that John had had to go home and that another group member wasn't joining us due to ill health.

Here's John being a hero the previous night recusing Emily's cap.




So Me, Diane, Keith, Corinna, Cheryl, Vic (Cherrypie's Dad), Emily (her sister), Alan, Max (senatore), Dave (birdman), Rosie (his daughter) set off. Soon to be joined by Anna and Michael.

Early good bird was a Tree Sparrow.

As you can see Bempton is sea birds city.



The view from the cliffs.



Predominantly Kittiwakes, Gannets, Guillemots and Razorbills. There were some Fulmar and this chap.




There were some serious cameraman in the group.

Max and Alan.




Anna enjoying the spectacle.



We headed back to the visitors centre for some lunch.

This chap was obliging.



Alan and Max stayed at Bempton to take photos, Cheryl (who I have no photos of !!!) and family headed to the beach. So the rest of us went to South Landing for a stroll.

I demonstrated the problems Male Merlins have. If you've watched Springwatch you'll know what i mean. Anna will post a pic somewhere.

We added quite a few lifers for Anna. I think she was most pleased with her first Great Spot, I was most pleased by tracking the Willow Warbler on song. Me !! on song!!! Ok so Willow is easy, its a start!

We went back to the cafe to enjoy an Ice Cream. There were lots of Yellowhammers around the visitors centre and we had another Tree Sparrow on our walk!

some photos of those not snapped above.

Diane objected to my last portrait of her, is this better?


Dave(birdman)

Keith


Rosie


Corinna(eagle)


Michael.


Oh ok Diane is THIS better!!


and then everyone left. Our last tick being a very nice Song Thrush.

So all on my lonesome. I decided to hit the chippy and headed to Thornwick Bay. Found some more Puffins!!



I'm not sure of the total species count. It was a nice day, with good birds, in good company and that's all that matters.

7 comments:

DH59 said...

I'll get you back for this, don't worry!

nicola said...

craking photos pete, looks like a great w/e

Anonymous said...

Yes please do Diane, but make sure I'm around when you do!!!

Eagleseagles said...

Now why didn't you take a picture of moi with my camera...or digi????(with a camera......!!!
Eating an ice cream...really!!

The coven will be turning up the heat....


C

Eagleseagles said...

forgot to say......

love the puffin pics!!!
Specially that close one that wasn't there when Anna and I arrived....been bird spotting elsewhere!!
C

Cherrypie said...

Aha! The lesser-spotted Cherry-Eater eludes you again. Fantastic!

Loved it by the way -watched sand martins on Fraisthorpe beach all afternoon, got sunburnt.

I won't bring the entire family next time. Promise.

DH59 said...

I also forgot to say - love the Jackdaw photo.

Will try and get my blog updated tonight - I expect there'll be more footy on. I'll make my escape.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.