Monday, June 12, 2006

Saturday 10th June

I seem to remember promising you some pictures of probably the finest parish church in England, Beverley Minster, but as the weather was so nice I headed straight up to Flamborough Head. Straight out of the car I spotted a Wheatear. On to the head!

Flamborough's light house.



A view of the head.


I got talking to some chap who hadn't seen any puffins, well soon found him some.

Oh and Janice asked for a Puffin.



Now this chap asked a question.

"You from Essex?"

Now for non-brits I have to explain Yorkshire folk are sharp. He saw through my subtle disguise of Essex Wildlife Trust t-shirt and baseball cap!!

"My sister moved there. Canvey Island. She likes it, its crap nothing like Yorkshire"

Now let me add Canvey is not exactly the Yorkshire Moors and I will concede his point.

I add that there are some nice parts away from London (honestly there are, it can be a lovely county).

"Not much left then".

"Been to devon, cornwall and kent. nice parts but nowt like Yorkshire. Gods own country"

I said I liked Norfolk.

"Good for birds, but too flat. Not like the Dales and the Moors where I am"

"On your own are you"

No meeting some friends from Barnsley.

"Oh that's a shit heap, as is Leeds, Wakefield blah de blah"

I think he was referring to anywhere not near his place.

Now I am a nice person I bid him a fond adieu and watched some birds.

What I REALLY wanted to say is that yes he was right and that Yorkshire is God's Own Country but because it was he had populated it with a bunch of loud mouthed opinionated tossers like him. But of course because he was a loud mouthed tosser didn't make everyone else one and it was a lovely day.

I picked off a couple of Sandwich Terns so as John was later to say, got the target birds I can go home now!!

Anyway met up with Diane and Keith (both nice people from Yorkshire), Corinna and John and headed for Bridlington. Some people wanted to watch the footy. Diane and I decided to sample the delights of Bridlington. First pub we passed - big cheer - wev'e scored then.

The harbour was quite nice.




Lots of these chaps



Crabs being unloaded.



We were meeting up with Cheryl after the footy to go on the Yorkshire Belle.


Kittiwakes



Develop-your-own-film-birder taking an "arty farty" photo of some crab pots.



Whilst the fisherman are away the Gulls will play.



Herring Gulls.....



Young Gannet sitting in the harbour.


Diane and I had a last look at the sea.


After a refreshing cup of tea, we walked towards the boat. The highlight of said walk was watching two blokes dressed as Native North Americans playing Danny Boy on the pan pipes.

We were joined by Cheryl (her sister and Dad - who weren't going on the boat) and the footy fans only to find that the sea was too rough and it was cancelled!! So we all went on to Flamborough Head for Puffins and then to the North Star for a nice meal.

3 comments:

flicker said...

Thanks for the Puffins. Shame about the boat trip, I did wonder about it at the time, it was very windy here too, thought the sea would be a bit choppy.

Lol at the Yorkshireman too. I've come across one or two like him as well.

Unknown said...

I apologise for your encounter with the professional Yorkshire man - someone really should pass a law about letting these people out alone.

Thanks for the pics of Brid, I haven't been for ages.

"two blokes dressed as Native North Americans playing Danny Boy on the pan pipes."

That is surreal!

DH59 said...

It was quite surreal, Kate. It didn't really sink in until we'd passed them. Very strange.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.