Friday, June 23, 2006

Musings

In the "good" old days you went into a shop and an assistant went and collected your order for you. Things moved on and the supermarket came along where you went into a shop picked your own items and then took them to a counter to be priced.

Well as many of you know we have gone a step further and now I am expected to scan the items myself. I mention this as my local Tesco has introduced this practice and yesterday morning at 6:15 the only checkouts open were the self service.

The supermarkets love 'em because it means less staff and hence higher profits and they say we should love 'em becuase it keeps prices down. Now this is all very well but what do the checkout staff do? I'm sure the big supermarkets won't redeploy them.

Now you might argue why do I care? Well I do have a social conscience and anyway a bit like call centres moving overseas I wonder what everyone is going to do. Yes the big companies will make more money but Joe Public won't have a job. Apparently we should be concentrating on high skill jobs but lets me honest many of us do have a limit to what we can do.

The government want us do work longer. Doing what?

I will keep saving so that I can get out of the rat race as soon as possible.

1 comment:

Ally said...

And that's mostly the reason that I get my groceries delivered every week from the local farm co-operative ... . Except this week, I forgot to put my order in and I am going to have to brave the Hell That Is Somerfields :).

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.