Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Cotswolds Exploring Day 3

Driving down a small country road I passed a woman walking. She was miles from anywhere and wearing a mask. Now I can understand in shops, theatres  or in crowds (I don't but fair enough) BUT on a road with no one within miles? Struck me as a little odd.

Lower Slaughter is just down the road from Bourton on the Water but way less touristy. There are some pricey hotels but the one attraction the Old Mill and Museum has now closed. I wondered when it closed its tea room. There is now nowhere to buy a coffee except I guess the hotels.

The locals must hope the loss of the mill will stop tourists AND it did feel less peoply than usual... 










So where to? I wandered to Bourton House Garden for a wander and lunch. The gardens are always worth a visit






















Now Sezincote is right next door but I thought it wasn't open Wednesday and headed to Chastleton.... I have subsequently found it is! Hey and ho! 

Chastleton is a Jacobean house just over 400 years old. The family backed the wrong side in the civil war and had no money and so the house is virtually unchanged. There are no "great treasures", well I guess the Jacobean fittings count, but it is a fascinating place to visit.





































I was having a read at just after 3 when the rain started so I headed back.



Another good day where the weather was much better than forecast.



2 comments:

Ragged Robin said...

I love the Slaughters - I saw a WAter Vole there donkey years ago! I've been to Chastleton too - wasn't Wolf Hall filmed there partly? Or am I imagining things? Church there is lovely too - they were serving cake when we went. Good photos from inside the house especially as it is SO dark inside.

The Quacks of Life said...

You are correct re Wolf Hall.

There was no cake today. I'm not sure what days they do

Oh pictures were with the phone

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.