Monday, May 08, 2023

Cotswolds Exploring Day 1

Yes  I am away again! I am back in the Cotswolds. And I didn't realise it was a bank holiday when I did!

So first stop? Sudeley Castle. Worked started in 1443. Richard III built the banqueting hall (now ruined). Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn (Henry's 2nd wife) visited and Katherine Parr (Henry's 6th wife is buried in the church).






























The tomb of Katherine Parr.... the effigy is Victorian


























I wandered to Hailes Abbey.... I realised I have never taken this view of Hailes Church




I like Hailes, the staff are always really friendly










I like Hailes Church is small and simple with some nice wall paintings








And finally the pre historic Rollright Stones. And no I don't think a witch turned a King and his men to stone !! LOL They are incredibly old and are separated by over a 1000 years






and for some reason I never took a photo of the King Stone... if you search the blog there will be one 

2 comments:

Ragged Robin said...

Ooh! Away again - I can guess where you are staying. So want to go to Sudeley and my son deserately wants to go to Haile Abbey. I love the Rollright Stones - so atmospheric there :) Hope weather is better for you tomorrow although it looks better in the Cotswolds than here!

The Quacks of Life said...

Weather has been surprisingly ok! Sudeley is nice... Hailes really has lost a lot of the ruins when compared with say the big northern ruins like Fountains and Rievaulx. The church at Hailes is a gem :)

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.