Monday, June 27, 2022

Tintagel & Pentire

The forecast for tomorrow looked poor so I went for some places today that required decent weather.

Tintagel is famed for its castle (which was built by Richard 1st Earl of Cornwall in the 13th century) on the peninsula adjacent to the village. Although the castle is medieval the peninsula was possibly inhabited during Romano British times but was definitely inhabited during the Dark Ages (Early Medieval if you prefer).

Tintagel is famed in Legend as the place where King Arthur was conceived and born. The town makes great play of this and it heavily influences the MANY gift shops.

The old post office I've been in before.






The new bridge makes visiting less stressful on your legs ;)





















This was a garden in the medieval period. Today it shows the Tristan and Iseult (Isolde) story which is  another legend associated with the site 










There were Fulmar and Gannets off the coast.



I headed off to Pentire a National Trust site I've never visited. I wasn't convinced the scones were home made (understandable given the location) so I passed.





There were Skylarks giving fabulous views and hirundines (Swallows and House Martins) flying overheads.

















My late afternoon drink companion! 



I also saw Linnets and Stonechats and a Painted Lady butterfly.

Lovely day!


No comments:

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.