Friday, June 17, 2022

Some Rutland Churches

 I am in Rutland today on a personal matter as I was early (anyone who knows me is not surprised by that :) )  I visited a few Rutland churches.

First one? 

Holy Trinity, Teigh.

The church was designed in 1782 and completed in 1789 retaining the medieval tower..









St Peter and St Paul. Exton

This is notable for the fine set of sculptured tombs. Including one in Marble by Gibbons















St Andrew, Whissendine

Has been heavily scraped BUT it has a complete set of medieval statues of saints and kings in its Clerestory. These are a rare survival.













St Peter and St Paul, Langham

Lovely churchyard and setting. Much of the glass is clear giving nice views.






If plans hold I will be ADDING to my list tomorrow!

2 comments:

Ragged Robin said...

Lovely set of photos Pete - pleased you were able to get inside all the churches. There are some impressive monuments in those churches!!! to put it mildly :) Font in first church is unusual too. Really enjoyed seeing these churches - thanks :)

The Quacks of Life said...

My pleasure. As I remember it, from 20 years ago EEK, most Rutland churches are open. There are lots of good ones in a small area.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.