Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Somerleyton, Raveningham and Hales Church

 I was off to visit Somerleyton Hall this morning and I was a bit early so visited the church of St Mary's 

The church is a victorian rebuild. It does have some survivals from the old church. The Rood Screen and Font. There is also some medieval glass that is alleged to come from St Olave's priory.














So onto Somerleyton Hall which was rebuilt in the 1840's by MP Samuel Morton Peto in anglo-Italian style. The house is closed to the public. It didn't used to be as I've been inside. It has a nice formal garden that I explored and a nice small cafe. It isn't over touristy.







I did the maze! 




































Last month I went to Raveningham Hall and Garden and as it was 9 miles away so off  I went. 

Again it isn't over touristy and I had a nice stroll.

























The lovely St Margaret's Hales in the care of the excellent Churches Conservation Trust was very near so ....

Not often you see a both a Round Tower church and a thatched church. The church is 12th century Norman and there are some wall painting. It is like stepping back in time! 









So vandal/thief has stolen part of the altar rail. SIGH! 

No comments:

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.