Thursday, September 19, 2024

By the sea at Southwold

When my parents got married in the early 1950s it was traditional to go to a seaside resort for a holiday. Typically you stayed in a holiday camp or a guest house. Holiday camps provided everything and were, and I guess still are, places you never had to leave. The guest house served you breakfast then kicked you out until you went back for dinner around 6. They were in seaside resorts across the country. They were ghastly places. 

When I was a very young lad we went to Warner's holiday camp at Corton or guest houses or caravans at the likes of Lowestoft. Great Yarmouth, Herne Bay or West cliff which provided lots of "entertainment". I found them exciting. There would be beach huts selling American comics that never made it to W H Smiths. My father always claimed that you had to go to the seaside and my mum was grateful to me for getting him out of the habit 

Most seaside towns now are sad places! Long after we had stopped going to them we used to like going to Hunstanton but the last time I went with Dad even he commented how much it had gone downhill. All the shops seemed to be cheap and tacky and nothing you wouldn't see at home.

Ok when I was a lad there was a lot of tat but there was also an air of gentility. There would be concerts and the like. Today they all cater for the lowest common denominator. You will notice I don't often go to the coast the towns thoroughly depress me but ...

Today I went to Southwold a seaside town that has kind of survived. It lacks the uniqueness of old but it does have an air of gentility. 

It was grey and windy which is how i often remember trips to the east coast and I spent the day wandering and reminiscing of days gone past.




Gun Hill 




The famous Southwold beach huts. These can go for six figures!!!!






The sand seems high??




There are a few beach cafes. This one was quite nice. They were even selling there own branded coffee! 







You can hire the huts! 


And so to the pier.















There is only the one arcade. 





I daresay Dad and I have played a round of putting on here whilst Mum Sat and read.




Fishfinger Sandwich for lunch on the front.


My view


Ah you can still buy a plastic bucket and spade LOL


The Southwold reading room


A museum to the fisherman of Southwold.





Southwold is the home of Adnams brewery. Every pub and hotel is an Adnams seemingly.



The church of St Edmund the Martyr.




























Back in the day or a horrid day people would shelter in these! You see lots of these in seaside towns.




No comments:

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.