Friday, June 28, 2024

Padstow and Prideaux Place

I went to Padstow this morning. I have a love hate relationship with the place.

It was where I stayed on my first visit to Cornwall in 1982. It had a rambling bookshop on the front (where I discovered Isaac Asimov's Foundation  trilogy), an old cinema where I watched the Wrath of Khan and a mad putting green.

All of this has gone. There is a nice bookshop but it has moved and it could be anywhere. 

At some point chef Rick Stein moved in and today it is a mix of pasty shops, coffee shops and art galleries. Whether or not it is better for the locals I don't know but I think it has lost its charm. 





You have been warned!





Shortly before this the gull had made an attempt for an old chaps ice cream.










As I headed through town back to my car I saw a gull take a bag of chips from a woman. She screamed I chuckled to myself.

Prideaux Place was completed in 1592. It is a small house and garden (i have visitedonce beforein 2006). I had intended to have lunch there quickly explore the Gardens before heading off to a coastal walk. For some reason I booked on to a guided tour. 

There is a small deer park.






















No photos inside.

I finished my tour as they fed the deer,












You can buy Prideaux deer in the local Waitrose. They do have to cull them in small numbers.





The current owners are Peter and Elizabeth Prideaux-Brun. Peter will be 80 this year and for his birthday a high chair will be placed next to his at the table and a special guest will sit there. His bear Me Too. A tumbler of whiskey will be provided for Me Too. Peter and Me Too moved to Padstow when Peter was very small. 

Me Too lives in the library and when everyone goes to bed Me Too and the other bears play. Me Too used to jump off the shelf but as he is now a more "mature" bear the family have provided him with a ladder. Bentley was impressed to find a channel island bear living there!!! 

You can buy a mini "Me Too" and there is a little illustrated book about him.

I won't pretend it is the greatest house even in Cornwall but it is charming and well worth a visit. Really good guided tour.



No comments:

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.