Thursday, January 11, 2024

The ducks are not happy!

Well it has turned a tadge nippy. Both the Coalport and New Hall ponds have ice.

Coalport 



The Mallards hang about as they get fed. I know you aren't meant to feed them bread but people often bring children and if that breeds a liking for wildlife...

The Newhall pond, just a bit of water left. The big white duck vanished before the cold snap. I wonder if he left with the geese,



I keep hoping for some winter finches or whisper it Waxwings... 

As Wessex Reiver said maybe a duck will pop up. It was nice to read that there are Smew back at Amwell this winter after a break. 

I'm just about to read the 7th of Jack McDevitt's Academy series. The 8th is not available on ereader or in paperback in the UK so I've had to order a second hand copy. 



1 comment:

Ragged Robin said...

Poor duck and the weather looks as though it is getting colder next week! We used to have a pair of mallard who visited our garden pond every Spring and the kids fed them bread so I bought some proper duck food for them and you might know they refused to eat it! Smew would be nice - one of my "bogey" birds again I fear. Sounds like a Waxwing Winter although I haven't seen any - must check for local sightings and perhaps visit a few local berry trees! Its a few years since I've seen them.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.