Friday, January 26, 2024

Lawford church

I visited Lawford Church last over 20 years ago. I am not often in this part of Essex but I was visiting my friends Jan and Tony yesterday so I popped in to St Mary's.

It has one of those eccentric Essex towers.



To be honest the nave is of little real interest,



The chancel on the other hand...



We come for the decorated gothic chancel. It has been partly damaged by iconoclasts.




Some of the niches have been refilled.






Each of the windows are different.



Nice to revisit 

3 comments:

Ragged Robin said...

A lovely church Pete - interesting chancel :)

The Wessex Reiver said...

Just read this up on the Wiki site, it mentions bomb damage in 1944. An interesting history indeed, and a fascinating church. Thank you for the post, I like reading around such places.

The Quacks of Life said...

thanks both. a few churches I need to revisit that have never been on the blog!

WR.... odd place for the luftwaffe to bomb isn't it! then again in my previous post I mention a V2 on Harlow in 1944. Thing is in 1944 Harlow didn't exist, the area was just a small village/parish called Great Parndon and it was virtually empty!

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.