Saturday, October 21, 2023

Hanbury Hall

Well after all the floods and seeing reports of National Trust properties closed I headed to Hanbury Hall.


Hanbury is a red brick house built by the Vernon family in the early 18th century. It isn't a large house (by these standards) but has a fine James Thornhill mural in the Great Hall. The original garden by George London was removed at the end of the 18th century. The National Trust believe only one of his gardens survives at Melbourne Hall (i've never been for some reason) and one other was recreated at Hampton Court Palace). The National Trust has been faithfully recreating that garden at Hanbury. I'm never entirely sure how I feel about recreations but then again it is nice to actually seen something different. 

I ought to say I like Hanbury. Again it might be like Canons Ashby it doesn't feel very trust like in some respects. I did get a shock today that since my visit in 2021 the tea room based in part of the house has been replaced by a purpose built new cafe. I like the fact that all the seating  has been retained. It just gives it a bit of character.

Anyway some pics! 




























































1 comment:

Ragged Robin said...

I like it there but only visited once. There's an interesting church nearby too I think which I didn't visit.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.