Friday, October 20, 2023

Cotswolds Villages

It rained last night..... I know this as there was a big puddle outside the pub and when lorries went past the pubs windows were getting washed. Also someone's drive was flooded by the stream and they had parked in the pubs car park.

It had almost stopped when I left but I didn't fancy going far so I had a day wandering around Cotswold Villages. 

First stop Burford. Now it is about 2 years since I've been there but a number of shops had closed and new ones opened. Lots of cafes and shops that really show that there is some serious money about.

Still Burford doesn't charge you to park so if I just want to drop in I can. As you can see the Windrush was very full














Alex James from Blur has become a cheese maker and now is into wine. I've no idea how good it is or how much it was.




Ah St John the Baptist,  Burford ... it is a lovely building. 





It was three levellers holed up and were later pulled out and shot.




This was once a private chapel to the merchants guild but is now the lady chapel



Weird tomb adornments.





This is the tomb Edmund Harman Henry VIII barber.


Apparently these are the earliest example of a native American (south) in England.






You can see the foundations of Burford are 12th century. 



The mighty Tanfield tomb! 






Why is the woman on the right exposing her breasts?



I do like Christopher Whall glass.


So on to Bourton on the Water.  Where it costs 40p to go to the loo and the car parking is not free. Please ask yourself the question which village my dad would have preferred ! ;) 



it has sentimental attachments for my friend Jan so I know she likes seeing photos :)











So I got a takeaway sausage sandwich. picked up a coffee from the coffee hub (more reasonable)

So off to Lower Slaughter



This is the road opposite the church! 







The old mill had a gift shop and it and the cafe are all gone. I'm sure the locals hope it will stop the number of visitors and I fully understand that but it is sad as it was nice to sit by seating by the river hey and ho.









I popped into Stow on the Wold (you can park for free here LOL) and had a wander. This is at the back of the church. I didn't go in this time



It was a nice day :)

1 comment:

Ragged Robin said...

Burford and church look good - church has some good features :) Never been that keen on Bourton on the Water as SO touristy and busy but I love the Slaughters. Shame about the old mill. The little river there was where I saw my last Water Vole!! Tolkien's door at Stow :) I like Stow even though its touristy and busy!!! Hope weather kind to you today or safe journey if you are returning home.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.