Friday, July 21, 2023

Catching up on the local wildlife.

Since returning home I have noticed the number of butterflies have increased! 

Before I left the duckling count was 

New Hall - I hadn't got a clue LOL I thought there might be 2 broods.

Coalport - 3 

Common - 2 

Pond in garden by the road - 4 

I soon twigged there were 8 ducklings a New Hall. I thought it was one brood but it seems there is a brood of 7 and a brood of 1.

There were 4 foals but 2 have been moved on. Sigh.

Here are the 7 


The split pond just up the path had a pair of Moorhens that had a successful brood of 3 have another brood.

There are still 5 Moorhen chicks on the coal port pond. 


One of the Coalport ducklings









Hard life being a pony! 




The two on the common






The Newhall 7 


The Newhall 1





Anyone know the flower?



These are the goslings! Boy have they grown! I expect they'll fly soon







I saw my first Painted Lady of the year here! There was another on the common.


The four by the road. Still doing ok,







The Newhall 1,,, its growing but I worry...


One of the 7



Alas yesterday I discovered that there is only duckling on the common pond there 2 Wednesday. As you can see from this mornings photo they had grown quite a bit and I really thought they would be fine. There are plenty of moorhens and coots.


The two foals.



So duckling count. Is New Hall - 8, Common 1, Coalport 3  and side of the road 4. To be honest if you told me I'd lose a duckling I'd assume the side of the road on the New Hall 1..... Hey ho,

Sorry for variable quality I was using a compact for some as I was feeling lazy :) I prefer the main camera on the phone (the phone though lacks the range of the compact).

Weather not looking good for next few days so may be lack of pics.


 

1 comment:

Ragged Robin said...

You have a really lovely place to walk locally. Good to see all the young birds and all those butterflies. Weather awful here today. Rain all day by the looks of it :(

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.