Friday, January 01, 2021

That's that over

So 2020 has finished. It's been pretty rubbish hasn't it but on a positive note I have retired! 

The pandemic has stopped us doing so much but on taking a positive note I have found some nice walks 

I can still remember my dismissive response to a friend suggesting local walks (nothing to sea) but I have found so much to enjoy.

The first time I ventured out it was the song  of a Common Whitethroat that perked me up to try another way. It was a Reed Warbler that just gobsmacked me on the next walk. I never expected to see one so close to home! 

Other Highlights? The Ponies, watching the mallard chicks, finding an underpass under the M11 and actually working out how to get into a particular wood. 

And here is my full bird list of 64 species.

  • Little Grebe
  • Little Egret
  • Grey Heron
  • Canada Goose
  • Mallard
  • Mandarin Duck
  • Red Kite
  • Buzzard
  • Sparrowhawk
  • Kestrel
  • Red-Legged Partridge
  • Pheasant
  • Moorhen
  • Coot
  • Lesser Black Headed Gull
  • Herring Gull
  • Common Gull
  • Black Headed Gull
  • Feral Pigeon
  • Collared Dove
  • Stock Dove
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Swift
  • Green Woodpecker
  • Great Spotted Woodpecker
  • House Martin
  • Swallow
  • Meadow Pipit
  • Yellow Wagtail
  • Grey Wagail
  • Pied Wagtail
  • Wren
  • Dunnock 
  • Robin
  • Blackbird
  • Fieldfare
  • Redwing
  • Song Thrush
  • Mistle Thrush
  • Reed Warbler
  • Lesser Whitethroat
  • Common Whitethroat
  • Blackcap
  • Chiffchaff
  • Willow Warbler
  • Goldcrest
  • Spotted Flycatcher
  • Long-Tailed Tit
  • Blue Tit
  • Great Tit
  • Jay
  • Magpie
  • Jackdaw
  • Rook
  • Carrion Crow
  • Starling
  • House Sparrow
  • Chaffinch
  • Greenfinch
  • Goldfinch
  • Linnet
  • Bullfinch
  • Yellowhammer
  • Reed Bunting
  • There are a few species I probably should have seen. I didn't bird the local wood enough to find a Tree Creeper (The wood gets families and I was trying to avoid people this year!). Coal Tit would be nice! Oh and I live in hope of a Tufted Duck turning up on the pond. Maybe a Sand Martin next year?

    I live in hope (but not expectation) of seeing a Tree Sparrow or Corn Bunting.


    1 comment:

    Ragged Robin said...

    Wishing you a Happy and Healthy New Year Pete. I am well and truly glad to see the end of 2020! I have enjoyed accompanying you on your local walks and it is always surprising what you can see close to home. A good list :) Higher than mine this year!!!!

    Blog Status

    If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.